Wednesday 10 May 2017

Breaking my silence

So it had been a while since I had posted on this blog. I was aware that I risked getting sucked into a cycle of negativity, as the oddities of the current pontificate, and the particular difficulties of the discussion surrounding Amoris Laetitia, unfolded. So I thought I would keep quiet for a while.

And then, the CES Scandal.


However, I do think it important that we don't get sucked in to focusing only on the things that go wrong. Our Faith is joyful, luminous, sorrowful, and glorious. If we only talk about the sorrows we are misrepresenting it.  And anyway, my SD advised me to use my talents (if any) at writing to spread the joy of the Gospel.


Which is a bit of a challenge. Blogging about this in general terms can come across as a bit trite. But blogging about all the specific blessings we receive as a family can sound like boasting or something.


But he is right, of course: spreading gloom and despond is not the way to win souls to Christ. And whilst it may be necessary to confront wrongdoing (and in the case of the CES Scandal, I think it was, and that it is even conceivable that my contribution may make a difference) that should not be the whole thrust of this blog (even though such posts invariably command a far higher readership than many of my others).


So here is a very small, but positive, snippet from my daily life. I awoke early this morning - long before my alarm was due to go off.  And I found that I was praying the Magnificat, in a state of semi-consciousness as I came to the surface.


And the reason for that is that for some years now, it has been my practice to pray it first thing in the day, as part of my morning prayers, and also in the evening, after Compline. 


My point here is that simply by doing what the Church tells us (praying first thing and last thing in the day) I have inadvertently acquired a virtuous habit, whereby my mind, as it returns to wakefulness, turns to God and His blessed Mother.  This is a grace, of course, and I claim no merit for it. But I mention it as a piece of experience from a middle aged man, in the hope that some younger reader may take heart, and recognise that although he may not be aware of any changes in himself, a regular adherence to the discipline of prayer will, over the long term, result in change.


Deo gratias.

No comments: