Tuesday 14 May 2013

Sunday Gospel Readings in EF Omitted from OF


So here's the next post on the subject of the New Lectionary.  For previous posts, follow the Lectionary tag.

Joseph Shaw suggested that I should add to my data collection a list of all the Gospel passages that feature in the EF Missal to be read on Sundays, which do not feature in the new Lectionary for Sunday reading.

I demurred, initially, saying that wasn't my project, but he said: 'Well, for one thing the omission of passages which were in the historic cycle (Anglican and Lutheran too) is a bigger statement.'

I thought about this for a bit: clearly Bugnini wasn't thinking about amending the cycle of readings but replacing it.  I doubted that he even did the comparison with the old Missal.

And the more I thought about that, the more the enormity of it struck me.  The hubris of dumping the heritage of the Church's traditional cycle of Gospel readings without a second glance...

I will write more on that, when I consider what Bugnini said he was about.

But in the meantime, I decided to take up Joseph Shaw's suggestion, and here is the result: all the passages from the Gospels which were read on Sundays according to the Old Missal and are omitted from the New Lectionary Sunday Cycle.  As before, I have put in bold those passages which are omitted, without a parallel passage from one of the other Gospels being read.


St Matthew:

6:16-21 Fasting: when you fast... Do not store up treasures on earth...

8:1-13 Leper healed; Centurion’s servant. (St Mark’s and St Luke’s accounts, respectively, used)

8:23-27 Calming of the storm (St Mark’s account used)

26: 1- 13 Caiaphas plotting; the precious ointment; [St Mark's account used]


St Mark:

16:14  Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen. [only in St Mark]


St Luke:

8: 4 - 15 Parable of the sower (St Matthew’s account used)

11: 14- 23 But if it is through the finger of God that I cast out devils... (St Mark’s account used)

24 - 26 The return of the Unclean Spirit (the corresponding passage from St Matthew is also cut)

27 - 28 Happy the womb that bore you... (St Luke only)

14: 15- 24 The banquet and guests who refuse to come... (St Matthew’s account used)

18: 31- 34 The Son of Man to be handed over... (cut from St Matthew and St Mark as well)

35 - 43 Healing of the blind man at Jericho (St Mark’s account used)

21: 29 - 33 The fig tree (St Mark’s account used)


St John:

6: 59 He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum. (Only in St John) 


8:46-59 you are a Samaritan, and possessed... Abraham saw my day and rejoiced, Before Abraham was, I AM. (Only in St John) 

14: 30 -31 The prince of this world is on his way... I am doing exactly what the Father told me. (Only in St John)

16:1-4 They will put you out of the Synagogue.  (Only in St John)


16: 5 - 11  None of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ ...because the prince of this world now stands condemned.  (Only in St John)


16 - 22 What does he mean: you will no longer see me, then you will see me?... You are sad now... your hearts will be full of joy...  (Only in St John)


16: 23-30 Ask and you will receive... the Father loves you...Now you are speaking plainly... the time will come when you are scattered...  (Only in St John)

--
In broad terms I think this is consonant with my earlier musings about patterns...


1 comment:

Joseph Shaw said...

Thank you for this research, it is fascinating.

I have just established that many of the emboldened passages are excluded even from the OF weekday cycle.

Mat 6:19-21 ‘Do not store up treasures on earth...’

St Luke: 8:24-26 The return of the Unclean Spirit
18: 31-34 ‘The Son of Man to be handed over...’

St John:
8:46-59 ‘you are a Samaritan, and possessed...’ ‘Abraham saw my day and rejoiced, Before Abraham was, I AM.’
14: 30-31 ‘The prince of this world is on his way...’ ‘I am doing exactly what the Father told me’
16:1-4 ‘They will put you out of the Synagogue.’