Wednesday 14 August 2013

A Great Day Out

Anna and I (and Goldie) had a wonderful day at Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal.  There is not much to add to what I wrote about the site on the occasion of our last visit, last year.

However, it was even more enjoyable this year, as it was sunny rather than raining. Also, I tried the acoustics in the Cellarium. The stone-vaulted ceiling is made for chant, and I filled it with sound without singing very loudly - till Mrs T bade me desist.

It was fascinating to stop and chat with the archaeologists who are digging a trench to try to discover the whereabouts (and any remains) of the Studley Royal bath house.  There are pictorial records of this feature, and it is shown (in different positions) on some Victorian maps. So far, they have found some old plaster and rubble, and half a brick: but they were very optimistic and enthusiastic.

In the meantime, Charlie and Dominique had a wonderful day at Lightwater Valley: rather them than me.

1 comment:

Part-time Pilgrim said...

It is beautiful (but sad too - it's broken).