Friday 22 February 2013

Tu Es Petrus

In honour of today's feast and our Holy Father.

They don't write them like this any more.






Tu es Petrus, et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam. Et portae inferi non praevalebunt ad versus eam: et tibi dabo claves regni caelorum et quodcumque ligaveris super terram erit ligatum in caelis et quodcumque solveris super terram erit solutum in caelis.

Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I shall build my church. And the gates of hell shall not prevail against it: and I shall give thee the keys to the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.
(Matthew 16:18 - 19)

2 comments:

Patricius said...

"They don't write them like this any more."

Indeed not...but I think James Macmillan's Tu es Petrus which accompanied the Pope Benedict's entry into Westminster Cathedral was pretty good.

Ben Trovato said...

Patricius,

I quite agree. Indeed I might have posted that one had I thought of it. Macmillan is a great contemporary composer.

But I have a special place in my heart for Palestrina's setting, so naturally that was the one that occurred to me.