Thursday 12 January 2012

I'm such an elitest snob...

Fr Ray Blake carries an appreciative note about an event at the Oratory on God and Shakespeare.

I thought it sounded really interesting, but I was clearly wrong...

Rev Alan Griffiths said...
I don't think this would be very relevant or a priority to the lives of most working class urban catholics struggling to get by in difficult times. I feel it also highlights what a fantasy bubble most of you uber-traditionalists live in.
I am sure Fr Griffiths knows more about the lives and priorities of working class urban Catholics than I do, but I can't help wondering: even if he is right, is that a good thing?


Would it not be better if intellectual and cultural  stimulation were more of a priority, and seen as more relevant, in such circles and such times?  Not least given the social support that comes from people meeting to discuss together things pertinent to their Faith (though of course holding hands at the Our Father, and shaking hands at 'the Peace' is so much more effective at building solidarity...)


There is something rather brutal in the implication that in tough times we insult people by talk of culture and ideas. Though I do accept, of course, that only working class urban Catholics are worthy of any support...


And then the well-informed comment about uber-traditionalists...
But hey, I'm white, male, middle class, educated, middle aged, Catholic (probably that means uber-traditionalist) so what would I know? Think I'll go back to my fantasy bubble.

8 comments:

Lazarus said...

I saw Fr Blake's original post but not the comment. Slightly bizarre, isn't it? Should all the universities and bookshops be shut down too until everyone, everywhere is feeling strong enough to cope with them?

leutgeb said...

Definitely time to close down any thought of trying to have beautiful music anywhere. such a waste of time...

Ben Trovato said...

... not to mention the whole Widening Participation agenda in Higher Education...

Patricius said...

Only a patronising middle class fool would make those kind of remarks. I see this fellow describes himself as "Rev"- I wonder is he a priest, deacon or just a wind-up?

Genty said...

Conveniently forgetting that in the days of the Latin Mass it was the poor working class Catholics whose pennies helped to build churches.
I googled the the name in question with several different tags. Interesting.

Part-time Pilgrim said...

It was a joke wasn't it?

(Why would only "traditional" Catholics be interested in Shakespeare?)

Just another mad Catholic said...

Who said that intellectual stimulation and helping working class Catholics are mutually exclusive?

Ben Trovato said...

I don't think it was a joke - if it was, it wasn't a very funny one. But any stick is good enough to beat a traditional Catholic with, especially charges of elitism.

Google reveals a Rev. Alan Griffiths as 'in residence' at Alresford. Can't be him, I imagine, as Alresford is scarcely the place to minister to the urban working class...